The Oxford Dictionary defines a nation as “a large aggregate of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory”. What if we update (if not upgrade?) that definition and call a virtual nation as “an aggregate of people united by shared values and common future vision, mutually beneficial value creation potential or common life perspective, from all over the world”?
Access, rather than territorial boundaries. Choice, rather than “default option”. Common future, rather than common history. Enter Nubia—a virtual nation taking its name from the clouds.
As implied by its name, Nubia would be an additional layer over our physical world and form a global sphere without barriers. It would be open to citizens globally, regardless of race, nationality, religion, gender orientation or alike. Nubians would retain their citizenships of their countries in physical world, but would seek to enrich their political, economic and social experience through their virtual country.
Nubia’s core pillars would be progressive causes, interconnection, empowerment of individuals and mobilization for good deeds. In line with these, Nubia’s value proposition could include the following (naturally, this is an initial list, which should be revised an improved on a dynamic basis):
- Advocate a progressive agenda on a global level particularly given that many problems can only be solved only at that level (e.g., single tax for “only online” services, environmental standards, access to health and education)
- Create and idea lab to propose solutions and ensure representation/ advocacy in international bodies (e.g., additional “virtual citizenship” right to all, UN representation to virtual nations)
- Obtain e-residence (immediately, particularly for entrepreneurs and refugees), potentially additional citizenship through alliance with physical states
- Participate in Nubia governance (voting, forming of own “colonies”)
- Simplify doing business through blockchain based contracts and notarial services; ability to invoice (through e-residence) and pay particularly for online only services (e.g., software, advisory)
- Facilitate access to opportunities (e.g., job, partnering, advisory) across the nation
- Run an idea ledger to record ideas (start-ups, open patents, political views)
- Build a pledge database, listing citizens’ asset or time donations for other citizens’ use (e.g., X hours of advisory time, Y days use of summer home)
- Enable individuals identify needs and run campaigns so that the problems can be addressed without further intermediaries
- Facilitate forming of sub-networks (“colonies”), through which people may take networking and idea sharing to a more intimate level and start movements to transform the virtual nation
Nubia’s governance should naturally be an interactive and dynamic exercise; however, any change in core values or the constitution would require a super majority. Nubia would also employ tokens to promote interconnectedness, promote charity and facilitate governance. Citizens would accrue tokens by interacting with fellow citizens, including doing business together or donating resources for others’ use (from a few hours of advisory time to use of summer home). They could then use these to vote on certain matters.